Monday, September 30, 2013

Living Simply and Outsmarting Ego

When I'm in outdoor-wear stores with my husband, which is often, I sometimes see Patagonia t-shirts with the slogan "Live Simply" and different designs.  I am always drawn to them, because something about those words whispers peace and contentment to me.  Lately in my prayer life God seems to be leading me in that direction- that although he is the true source of my peace and contentment, living more simply in terms of material things will remove distractions that keep my loved ones and I from him and really don't make us any happier.  In fact, sometimes they weigh me down.

My husband and I are currently preparing for the birth of our first son, due in early December.  With a little over two months to go, we can hear the clock running down on our time to purchase and assemble our baby gear and make sure the nursery is stocked and- here is my major pitfall- decorated.  Even as I write this I am mentally shopping for remaining items we don't have yet.  We jokingly refer to it as my nesting urge, and I have no doubt my hormones are playing a role, but I also am coming to notice it as a spiritual threat if left unchecked.

At times like this God makes it clear how acutely aware he is of both my life circumstances and my heart.  What better conditions to help me understand materialism and idolatry than our joy and parenting ambition combined with a subtle hint of pride and yes, competition (at least I know I am struggling with these things, I cannot speak for my husband.) 

The tricky part is that we do actually need a whole assortment of new supplies to take care of our first baby.  In a certain sense our home and belongings do need expansion.  I believe this is a key part of the nature of temptation- the kernel of truth and legitimacy, mixed with some untruth and sinful inclinations.  It is a brilliant strategy and the devil is wise; after all, he was first an angel.  But in his relentless love and faithful protection, God is persistently drawing my attention to it. 

It is ok, the Holy Spirit guides me, to purchase necessary material things.  The important thing is to ask myself what is truly needed (versus only desired) and to be responsible in my choices with regard to price.  I need to pause and look at my motivation: once I've identified that yes, we truly need this item, is my pride insisting that we have the "best" one?  Am I passing over less-expensive options that would fulfill our purpose in favor of pricier, more stylish alternatives? 

Last week I read a passage in a collection of insights of early Christians that caught my attention and articulates this point: "A life of luxury weakens the spirit. Frugality makes it strong. And yet, how can anyone be considered poor who does not feel any want, who does not covet what belongs to others, who is rich in God's eyes? Much more should he be considered poor who always craves for more while he already has much."

I don't want to perpetuate that kind of poverty in our family, to be surrounded by beautiful things but unsatisfied and distracted.  Instead, we can have the true wealth of uncluttered hearts and healthy priorities and also use our abundance to help our brothers and sisters in need.  We can give our son a legacy of contentment, humility and appreciation that will help him on his own quest for the only Treasure that satisfies and lasts.