Monday, June 10, 2013

Wanted

It is commonly accepted that the fundamental human need is to be loved.  It may be romantic love, or parental love, or the love of a friend or sibling or relative.  But we need it- all of our being is crying out to know that we are worthy of it.  It's at the root of our other desires- to be noticed, to merit approval, even to develop new relationships. 

Pause for a moment, and see what comes to mind when you hear the phrase "God's Love."  Or better yet, try "Jesus Loves You."   I'm willing to bet that gets a patient nod of the head and a vague acceptance at best, maybe a roll of the eyes, a heavy sigh or even a laugh at worst.  (Please forgive me, Lord, but I cringe when I see one of those bumper stickers.) 

I think our default impression of God's love for us might be somewhat misguided and even a turn-off.  First, it's vaguely collective, not uniquely personal and individual.  We generally believe that God loves humanity, and that He loves us individually in the sense that we each get a small fraction of that global love.   I used to get this mental picture of a gentle grandfatherly type or of that seventies-church-poster-Jesus with the mullet, holding a sheep and laughing.  Honestly, it doesn't really do anything for me.  (Are they sharing a private joke?  Sheep humor?) I would just shrug my shoulders and continue my search for that particular love- the knowledge that I am uniquely loved.  Passionately loved.  Pursued.

During our last deployment, when I was heartsick and lonely for my husband and my love tank was running on fumes, there was a particular song I would listen to that would fill me up again.  The loneliness was still there, but this song would cut through it and give me the reassurance I so desperately needed- that Someone was there with me, captivated by me and ready and willing to romance me.  It's a secular country love song called "Wanted" by Hunter Hayes, and nothing about it particularly says "God."  But I knew, thanks to the Holy Spirit's prodding at my heart, that that's how God really feels about us.  Maybe that song got through to me because it wasn't saturated with the traditional, religious descriptions of God's love often found in Christian music.  It was in terms my human heart could understand.  I won't share all the lyrics, but the chorus is sufficient:

 

I want to wrap you up

Want to kiss your lips

I want to make you feel wanted

I want to call you mine

Want to hold your hand forever

And never let you forget it

I want to make you feel wanted.

 

Now, I do not interpret this as Jesus literally wanting to hold my hand and kiss me, or you.  But the passion and the desire are real, and that goes for ladies and guys.  (I don't know how to interpret it for the men, or what speaks their particular love language.)   But here's the point- He wants to capture our hearts and make us His Own.  He wants us to know that He is hopelessly in love with each one of us, that we have got His attention in our own unique way, and He will never stop pursuing us.  That there is a place in His Heart reserved for us and us alone. 

How is this possible? Because He is infinite.  And infinitely creative, so He is able to romance each of us in intimate ways that only our own heart would understand and appreciate.  So listen a little closer to all those love songs, and be open to the love you were made for.